Part-Time After School Program Lead
Baltimore City Community College
About Baltimore City Community College
Founded in 1947, Baltimore City Community College (BCCC) is a comprehensive, urban institution accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. The College’s campus is located in West Baltimore; the institution also has several satellite locations throughout the city. With its broad range of degree and certificate programs, affordable tuition, and extensive outreach, BCCC offers educational opportunities to the citizens of Baltimore City and throughout the state of Maryland. BCCC serves more than 15,000* students annually, providing credits that transfer to four-year colleges and universities as well as workforce training leading directly to job placement. The College is proud of the fact that 100** nations are represented within the student body.
* Based on annual unduplicated credit and non-credit headcount for FY 2016. **Based on fall 2015 credit enrollment.
**note this contract runs from 10/3/17 through 5/3/18**
Overview: This position is responsible for the ongoing leadership and maintenance of the Refugee Youth Project’s after-school program site at Moravia Park Primary School (6201 Frankford Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21206; Lower Building). The Site Coordinator is responsible for ensuring safe and efficient operations of the program from staff, interns, and volunteers while collaborating closely with the school staff and leaders, community partners, parents, and students. He/she will be responsible for assessing students, documenting progress, and updating records as well as coordinating field trips and passing out snacks. The Site Coordinator will ride a provided yellow school bus home with students to ensure they get home safely. He/she will also take 3-4 field trips per year with our program.
Our program runs Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30-7:00 p.m, including student drop-offs. Program dates are 9/26/17-12/7/17 (Fall Semester) and 1/30/18-5/3/18 (Spring Semester). We do not have program on 10/19/17, 11/21/17, 11/23/17, 3/27/18, or 3/29/18.
An After-School Program Lead (Elementary School) is responsible for: Program Development
- Implementing youth literacy development programming, organization, and operation of the Refugee Youth Project after school program at an elementary school school site
- Working with school staff to align after-school program activities with student needs and standards from the school day
- Maintaining a positive, student-centered program environment with appropriate academic and behavioral expectations to ensure the safety of the students at all times
- Facilitating and monitoring the day-to-day operations of the program, including overseeing safe transitions to/from/during program and supervising students during extra-curricular time
- Ensuring student, staff, and volunteer safety by implementing and enforcing program policies, as well as communicating issues to the Principal and school site staff
- Ensures that the daily schedule is being followed by staff, volunteers, and students
- Integrating community volunteers into the program, supervising and utilizing their presence effectively to best meet the needs of the students
- Maintaining the organization and cleanliness of the program’s main location and all other spaces utilized
- Keeping accurate records of program information and student enrollment information
- Submitting reports and providing support to the Refugee Youth Project Coordinator as needed
- Maintaining punctuality and good attendance, providing notification to the Refugee Youth Project Coordinator and Refugee Programs Manager in the event of lateness or unexpected absence, as well as following organization protocol for planned absences
- Maintaining positive working relationships with the principal, custodian, cafeteria staff, office staff, etc.
- Serving, monitoring, and documenting snacks for participating students
- Recording student attendance daily using the required sign-in/out sheets and following all compliance requirements; accurately inputs into Google Sheets weekly
- Documenting Early Release appropriately
- Riding the bus home with students to ensure they arrive safely
Employees in this classification receive supervision from the Refugee Youth Project Coordinator and the Refugee Assistance Programs Manager
- Attending trainings, events and meetings for the after school program, occasionally outside of regular hours
- Attending meetings, training, workshops and conferences as appropriate to enhance job knowledge and skills
- Keeping the Refugee Youth Project Coordinator and School Staff apprised of issues or challenges
- Maintaining personal and professional boundaries in the performance of the job.
- Conforming with and abiding by all regulations, policies, work procedures and instructions.
- Complying with the various federal, state or local laws that apply to and regulate the job responsibilities.
- Participating in training related to the program, fundraising events and other RYP activities and initiatives such as performance and quality improvement (PQI).
Minimum Education and Training Requirements:
- High school diploma and at least one year of experience working with youth in Kindergarten-5th grade in an educational setting, preferably with refugee and/or immigrant youth;
- Or possess an equivalent combination of education, experience, competencies, skills and knowledge that ensures the successful completing of the essential job responsibilities.
- Proven organizational, leadership, supervisory and interpersonal skills.
- Basic computer literacy with Google Docs;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English;
- Be able to pass a background check through Baltimore City Public Schools
- Bachelor’s Degree in human services, education, or a related field;
- Ability to read, write and speak a relevant foreign language;
- Proactive problem solver;
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing conditions;
- Ability to connect with people and express a caring attitude;
- Must exercise good judgment, recognize potential problems and quickly take action;
- Experience in working with limited English proficient youth;
- Experience with coordinating field trips;
- Experience working with and supervising volunteers;
- Outgoing and able to work well with children;
- Reliable, dedicated, enthusiastic team player;
- Patience and excellent communication skills
Information and Application Process Instructions
Why Work at BCCC?
Baltimore City Community College (BCCC) is a crossroads of diverse peoples, of learning and work, and the multiplicity of stakeholders we serve: individuals, businesses, government and educational institutions of the community at large.
Our employees enjoy a collegial environment that is both challenging and welcoming. We stay innovative as we strive to be the leader in providing quality education that responds to and meets the needs of a diverse population of learners. Students come here to change their lives through education.
BCCC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Applications: Please apply online.
Explore this and other current employment opportunities at BCCC by visiting the search openings listed at Baltimore City Community College jobs
When inquiring or applying for this position, please reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within Baltimore City Community College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...