Reference/First-Year Outreach Librarian (search extended)
Williams College seeks a highly-motivated, creative, tech-savvy, user-centered individual to work as Reference/First-Year Outreach Librarian. This newly-defined position was created to meet the library's priority of expanding outreach to first-year students. As Williams continues to transform its student body in terms of socioeconomic status, identity, and nationality, we seek candidates who are excited to work with students who are diverse in regards to gender, race, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation and religion. This is a full-time, year-round appointment, reporting to the Head of Research Services and Library Outreach.
The Research Services department is dedicated to innovation, creativity, and pro-active, user-driven services. We value collegiality, collaboration, and working one-on-one with students and faculty. We believe in meeting students where they are in their information-seeking journey and helping them grow and develop into information-literate citizens.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter who:
- Shares our passion for reference and instruction
- Enjoys meeting new people, making connections, and promoting the value of the library
- Embraces our commitment to active learning pedagogy
- Thrives in a small, relationship-driven academic environment
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community and strongly encourage candidates from underrepresented groups to apply.
- Expand and enhance library outreach to first-year students, which includes:
- Organizing orientation programs
- Developing and implementing additional programming
- Creating promotional materials (print, film, and online)
- Build and maintain relationships with campus partners in the Davis Center and the Dean's Office to engage with first-generation students and students from underrepresented groups
- Serve as instruction and collection librarian for the social sciences
- Provide general reference and instruction services for the social sciences and humanities
- Manage the social media presence of the Research Services department
- Some evening and weekend responsibilities are required
- MLS (or equivalent) from an ALA-accredited institution. Early career librarians encouraged to apply
- Public service experience working in a library
- Experience creating promotional materials
- General subject knowledge in the social sciences
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team-oriented organization
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, time management, and presentation skills
- Strong commitment to diversity, equity, respect, and inclusion
- Experience providing reference services
- Marketing, graphic design, or digital media production experience
- Teaching experience and familiarity with information literacy concepts and trends
- Experience in promoting diversity and engaging with underrepresented groups
- Experience with social media outreach
- Subject knowledge in either Political Science, Environmental Studies or Legal Studies
- Academic library experience
Reviews of applications will begin immediately, and continue until the position is filled. Job Group 2-E.
In addition to discussing your qualifications for the position in your cover letter, please address how your education and/or experience will support our commitment to diversity and inclusion. Please provide the names of three references with your resume.
Employment at Williams is contingent on the verification of background information submitted by the applicant, including the completion of a criminal record check, and education when applicable.
To apply for this position, please visit http://staff-careers.williams.edu. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us via phone at (413) 597-4247 or email at email@example.com.
Williams College is a liberal arts institution located in western Massachusetts, with access to the culturally rich cities of Albany, Boston, and New York City. The college has built its reputation on outstanding teaching and scholarship and on the academic excellence of its students. Williams is committed to building and supporting a diverse population of approximately 2,000 students, and to fostering an inclusive faculty, staff and curriculum. Please visit the Williams College website (http://www.williams.edu).
Beyond meeting fully its legal obligations for non-discrimination, Williams College is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community where members from all backgrounds can live, learn and thrive.
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...