Network Systems Technician I (one or more positions)
South Orange County Community College District
Initial Screening Date 09/14/2017
PLEASE NOTE: In order to be considered for this opening, you must apply through the District website at https://jobs.socccd.edu
The District offers a comprehensive package of insurance benefits to eligible employees, which includes medical and dental insurance, a vision-care plan, life insurance and dependent life coverage, accidental death and dismemberment coverage, and a long-term disability income-protection plan. All premiums are fully paid by the District. Mandatory retirement incentive is with California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS).
Under general direction and supervision from the appropriate operating unit manager, performs a variety of duties relating to the deployment, maintenance and operation of an assigned college’s data networks, terminals and workstation equipment; and provides support to network users regarding the operation of various computer applications and peripheral equipment.
This is the first level in the Network Systems Technician series. Positions in this class require substantial knowledge but are assigned projects that are less complex than would be assigned to higher level positions within the series.
The duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices. Please see Job Duties for details.
- Basic operational characteristics of local and wide area network systems.
- Personal computer hardware and software components.
- Basic principles and practices of network server design, installation and maintenance.
- Basic principles and practices of troubleshooting network and computer system hardware and software problems.
- Principles and practices of customer service.
- Operational characteristics of various computer software packages.
- Data and network standards and applications.
- Application of microcomputers to perform tasks and a working knowledge of commonly used microcomputer programming languages and application programs.
- Fundamentals of personal computer operation, specifically installation and maintenance techniques and testing data communications connections.
- Assimilate and analyze data and prepare accurate and concise engineering reports and studies.
- Analyze technical problems accurately and recommend or take an effective course of action.
- Perform technical maintenance on local and wide area network systems.
- Perform minor repairs on computer equipment
- Perform work assignments requiring interaction with multiple departments.
- Make system programming changes to network equipment and systems, and program mini or microcomputers in commonly used languages and application programs.
- Respond to and identify user network and computer related problems.
- Communicate technical information to a wide variety of users.
Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Education and Experience Guidelines:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying.
Equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in computer science, information systems, telecommunications, data communications, network technology or a related field. Substantial directly related work experience may substitute for formal education.
One year of increasingly responsible experience in data communication and network service operations as a network technician.
Please visit the District’s Employment Opportunities website at https://jobs.socccd.edu for a detailed job description, to learn more about the District and to complete an on-line application.
NOTICE TO ALL CANDIDATES FOR EMPLOYMENT: The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, Public Law 99-603, requires that employers obtain documentation from every new employee which authorizes that individual to accept employment in this country.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within the South Orange County Community College District and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com