Adjunct Clinical Instructor: Undergraduate Nursing Program
Department Undergraduate Nursing Program Director – LIU Post
The Department of Nursing at LIU Post is seeking adjunct clinical instructors to prepare undergraduate students to successfully complete the Long Island University Post Nursing Program Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) curriculum and pass the National Council State Boards of Nursing Examination (NCLEX-RN) by planning, coordinating, and implementing clinical instruction in the Interprofessional Simulation Center, and affiliated clinical organizations. The adjunct clinical instructor is an extension of the lead course faculty and supports student learning through questioning to connect theory principles with clinical judgment.
- Accountable to follow the accepted standards, laws, and rules regulating the practice of nursing, and function within the scope of nursing practice.
- Responsible and accountable for practice based on, and limited to, the scope of instructor's education, demonstrated competence, and nursing experience.
- Obtain instruction, supervision, and consultation as necessary before implementing new or unfamiliar techniques or practices.
- Responsible for maintaining current knowledge in broad and/or specialized areas of nursing. Maintain knowledge in current, best evidence influencing clinical nursing practice in area of specialty.
- Conduct nursing practice without discrimination.
- Respect patient right to privacy by protecting confidential information.
- Possess thorough knowledge of patient medications, treatments, and diagnoses, and be able to relate these aspects of patient care to problem solving/critical thinking skill development in the student.
- Be organized, able to deal appropriately with various student situations, and able to effectively communicate and negotiate resolutions with faculty, students, and facility staff regarding any concerns or problems in the clinical setting(s).
- Ability to speak clearly to communicate instructions and clarify understanding.
- Hearing adequate to discern subtle changes in heart, lung, and bowel sounds.
- Visual acuity to allow for accurate observation and assessment of student performance.
- Hand/eye coordination sufficient to operate technology and dexterity to demonstrate and perform nursing skills.
- Capable of adapting, managing, and prioritizing multiple stressors simultaneously.
- Be familiar and comply with clinical affiliation site policies and procedures.
- Complete all required clinical affiliation training including, but not limited to electronic health records, HIPAA, medication administration.
- Complete all required evaluations of students' clinical performance and skills testing.
- Orient staff nurses to the level of the student and the specific learning outcomes for their clinical experience.
- Encourage nurses to communicate immediately with faculty regarding any student performance questions or concerns.
- Communicate with unit nurse manager on a regular basis, including an end of the rotation communication.
Division of Nursing Responsibilities:
- Meet with lead course faculty at the beginning of each semester to orient to the course and review student learning outcomes, course syllabus, and learning resources.
- Confirm student assignments and congruence with theory content.
- Review course grading policies and Undergraduate Handbook.
- Provide feedback about adequacy of site in allowing students to meet course outcomes to the lead course faculty.
- Meet with the lead course instructor to review student evaluations of the clinical instructor to grow in teaching effectiveness.
- Complete simulation orientation and simulation debrief training with the Interprofessional Simulation Center Manager.
- Participate in ongoing communication with lead course faculty and discuss instructional issues and individual student learning needs and progress.
- Serve as a professional role model and representative of the Division of Nursing and LIU Post.
- Perform all reasonable assigned tasks as designated by the lead course faculty to provide students with the opportunity to meet course outcomes and program goals.
- Demonstrate behaviors and attitudes that are supportive of the Division of Nursing students and mission, philosophy, program goals, policies, and professional values.
- Promote cooperation and communication among the clinical site staff, students, faculty, and other team members.
Student Instruction Responsibilities:
- Direct, instruct, and guide students in the clinical setting.
- Assign students weekly to selected patients based on student's learning needs and patient assessment.
- Assist students in collecting pertinent objective and subjective data regarding patient health status.
- Engage students in comprehensive, individualized instruction in the observation, assessment, decision-making, and health teaching of patients, including the maintenance of patient health or prevention of illness or disease.
- Facilitate development of student's critical thinking, technical, and professional communication skills while maintaining patient and student safety and patient confidentiality.
- Assist students in using nursing process when providing care.
- Supervise the administration of medications.
- Delegate selected nursing functions to students in accordance with their level of nursing education and demonstrated competency.
- Provide students with written instructions for what to do in case of injury or illness in the clinical setting. Participate in course delivery, skills and simulation as needed.
- Direct students to be responsible and accountable for their behaviors in the clinical setting.
- Communicate with students and lead course faculty regarding student progress.
- Collaborate with the lead course faculty to refer students to college services as necessary.
- Evaluate/grade written assignments, maintain accurate records, and return graded work to students in a timely manner prior to their next clinical.
- Hold student pre and post clinical conferences.
- Complete the weekly clinical evaluations as well as a mid-term and final clinical evaluation for each student.
A competent practitioner of nursing with a Master of Science in Nursing degree or be making satisfactory progress towards it. Evidence of current American Heart Association CPR training, and a current unencumbered New York State RN license. Candidates must provide evidence of yearly tuberculin skin tests and other required immunizations as per nursing program policy and current malpractice insurance.
Information and Application Process Instructions
Contact: Please send cover letter and resume to: https://jobs.liu.edu/#/job_details/419
LIU isan equal opportunity employer. LIU is committed to extending equal opportunity in employment to all qualified candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community. LIU encourages applications from all qualifiedindividuals without regard to race, color, religion, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, veteran or military status, age, disability or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal laws. Hiring is contingent on eligibility to work in the United States.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Long Island University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...