Vice Chancellor of Human Resources
South Orange County Community College District
Pay Range: 184,296.00 to $259,344.00 per year. Salary placement in the salary range will be based upon comparable experience and qualifications; increases are given annually thereafter up to highest step.
NOTICE: THE INITIAL SCREENING DATE FOR THIS RECRUITMENT HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO AUGUST 17, 2017. THIS RECRUITMENT WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
To serve as the District’s Chief Human Resources Officer; plan, develop, organize, coordinate, administer and evaluate comprehensive District-wide personnel management and employer/employee relations programs, services and processes affecting administrative, management, academic and classified personnel, including: recruitment and selection, employment, collective bargaining, employee and union contract management, organizational and staff development and investigation and resolution of discrimination and harassment complaints; ensure the development, implementation and adherence of Human Resources Board policies; ensure compliance with State and federal laws, District policies and collective bargaining agreements; train, supervise and evaluate the performance of assigned personnel and perform other related functions as assigned.
To maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff and students, as well as on a District-wide basis with the colleges and district services; and advocate for the community college using a collaborative, collegial leadership style that also supports the district’s strategic plan and achievement of the district-wide goals and objectives.
To foster a culture of collaboration, mutual respect, innovation, and continuous improvement throughout the District; lead by example; actively participate in and support District-wide participatory governance components and activities and other collaborative processes; encourage professional excellence among the staff and promote an organizational culture of customer service, innovation, and quality services.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
- Receives direction and supervision from the Chancellor.
- Exercises direct supervision over assigned staff.
Duties may include, but are not limited to the example of duties listed in Job Duties. Please see Job Duties for details.
- Principles and practices of community college administration.
- Principles and practices of human resources management and collective bargaining in the public sector.
- Principles of contract administration.
- Principles, trends, methods, strategies and procedures pertaining to human resource programs, including employment, labor relations, staff training and development, wage and salary administration, .
- Principles and practices of training, supervision and performance evaluation.
- District and college organization, operations, policies and objectives.
- Public employment programs, including recruitment, selection, classification, performance appraisal, self-funded employee benefits, equal employment opportunities, worker’s compensation and records management.
- State and federal laws, codes and regulations related to public human resources management and community college administration, including the California Education Code and the California Government Code.
- District policies, operational procedures and guidelines applicable to the administration of a comprehensive public sector human resources management program.
- Human resources information systems functions and operations.
- Negotiation techniques and public sector collective bargaining processes.
- Progressive discipline procedures and documentation.
- Budget preparation and control.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills including tact, patience and diplomacy.
- Computer systems and software applications related to human resources and employer/employee relations programs.
- Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
- Assure the preparation, maintenance and retention of personnel files and data.
- Collect, compile and analyze data.
- Communicate clearly, concisely and effectively, both orally and in writing, with diverse constituencies within and outside of the District.
- Develop and administer department budget.
- Develop and administer policies and procedures for human resources.
- Encourage professional excellence among the staff and promote an organizational culture of customer service, innovation, and quality services.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Exercise initiative and work independently with minimum administrative direction.
- Interpret, apply and explain complex District policies, legal requirements and negotiated agreements.
- Make effective public presentations.
- Negotiate collective bargaining agreements.
- Operate computer and applications software, including database management, spreadsheet, word processing and software related to human resources.
- Operate modern office equipment such as computer, printer, calculator, copier and facsimile machine.
- Participate in developing automated human resources information systems.
- Plan and organize work.
- Plan, develop, organize, coordinate, administer, monitor, control and evaluate a wide variety of District-wide human resources functions and administrative services, operations, programs and activities.
- Prepare and administer budgets for assigned program areas.
- Prepare and present reports and recommendations.
- Prepare oral and written reports and recommendations.
- Provide leadership in a variety of human resources areas including recruitment, selection, equal employment opportunities, compensation and benefits, collective bargaining, grievance and disciplinary procedures, performance appraisal and records management.
- Relate effectively to people of varied academic, cultural and socio-economic background using tact, diplomacy and courtesy.
- Select, train, lead, direct, supervise and evaluate the performance of assigned personnel.
- Understand and effectively and collaboratively work in a complicated multi-college environment, as well as within a system of community college districts.
- Work cooperatively with Information Technology personnel to develop sound information and reporting systems and procedures related to human resources.
Education and Experience Guidelines:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying.
An earned Master’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in human resource management, public administration, labor relations, law or other related field. An earned doctorate is highly preferred.
Five years of increasingly responsible and varied experience in administering a full range of human resources management programs, including employment, employer/employee relations, staff training and development, classification and compensation, in a public sector setting, including increasingly responsible experience in negotiating collective bargaining agreements. Experience in performing work as described above in a California public education environment is highly desirable.
Information and Application Process Instructions
Please visit the District’s Employment Opportunities website at https://jobs.socccd.edu for a detailed job description, to learn more about the District and to complete an on-line application.
NOTICE TO ALL CANDIDATES FOR EMPLOYMENT: The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, Public Law 99-603, requires that employers obtain documentation from every new employee which authorizes that individual to accept employment in this country.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within the South Orange County Community College District and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...