Economics Full-Time Instructor
West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 8/22/2017
West Valley College is now accepting applications from qualified persons for a full-time, tenure track instructor position in the Economics department. The successful candidate will be expected to teach the college level macroeconomic and microeconomic principles courses to a culturally, ethnically, and educationally diverse student population with a wide range of abilities. The instructor will participate in the professional and academic work of the department, Social Science Division and the college, as well as assume departmental responsibilities for curriculum development, evaluation of faculty, and college-wide committee assignments.
Located just minutes from the heart of the Silicon Valley, West Valley College is in a beautiful park-like setting on 143 wooded acres. This physical environment enhances the existing warm and inviting collegiate learning environment.
Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, ability, and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of a linguistically and culturally diverse student population are encouraged to apply.
This is a full-time, 10-month, tenure-track position that begins in Spring 2018. Instructional assignments may include day and/or evening classes, Monday thru Saturday, as needed and rotate among the Economics faculty. It is expected that over several semesters all levels of Economics offered at the college will be taught. This position is represented by the Association of College Educators and American Federation of Teachers (ACE AFT Local 6554).
Work location: West Valley College, Saratoga, CA
Salary and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Range:
- $61,553 to $95,792 annually, based upon academic achievement, teaching and related experience (Academic Salary Schedule, Steps 1-9).
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse and dependents.
- Employer paid long term disability for employee.
- Voluntary life insurance.
- Sabbatical, Rejuvenation and Retraining Leaves.
- Banked leave provisions.
- Professional Growth and Development activities.
- 10 days sick leave accrued annually; personal necessity and catastrophic leave.
- Conference leaves.
- Opportunity for overload assignments.
- Cal STRS Retirement.
- Position is union affiliated with required dues.
1. Education Ė Possess one of the following:
- Masterís degree in economics; OR
- Bachelorís degree in economics AND masterís degree in business, business administration, business management, business education, finance or political science; OR
- A valid California Community College Instructorís Credential in Economics; OR
- The equivalent of the above.
2. Demonstrated ability to effectively work with persons of diverse socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
Instructional duties and assignments may consist of one or more of the following:
- Provide instruction for assigned courses. This includes preparation, in class activities, evaluation of studentsí work, consultation with students outside of class (scheduling time beyond normal office hours if necessary), maintenance of currency in the subjects taught and other efforts related to the teaching of the assigned classes.
- Maintain accurate class and other records conforming with state requirements and stated district and college needs.
- Submit, when due, all necessary reports, such as attendance, grade reports, rosters, classes and office hour schedules.
- Follow course outline for each course with the appropriate division offices.
- Post and maintain office hours each week in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement.
- Observe, support and enforce the regulations, policies and programs of the District and college.
- Provide each student with a written course syllabus as per instructions in the Faculty handbook at the beginning of the course.
- Refer students to appropriate college sources for information on counseling and other student services.
- Assist students by providing advice on requirements for successful achievement in the memberís area of expertise.
- Work cooperatively within the college community.
- Foster an environment that protects academic freedom within the college community.
- Foster a positive working environment that is free from harassment, prejudice, and/or bias.
- Demonstrate positive communication skills within the college community.
- Demonstrate a respect for the dignity of each individual.
- Assume institutional responsibilities, which are of value to the department, division, college and/or District such as: actively participate in the spirit of shared governance in department, division, college and district institutional responsibilities. Such responsibilities may include recruitment and hiring, class schedule preparation, budget development, performance appraisals, mentorship, supervision of support staff, student recruitment and retention, curriculum and program development and evaluation, program review, club advising, committees, accreditation, articulation, and other duties as assigned.
Information and Application Process Instructions
- For more information on this position and to apply, please visit our website at the following link: wvm.peopleadmin.com
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 741Ė2174 to arrange for assistance.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within the West Valley-Mission Community College District and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...