Career and Transfer Advisor
West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 8/21/2017
The Division of Student Services is seeking a talented individual to fill the position of Career and Transfer Advisor.
West Valley College, though just minutes from the heart of the Silicon Valley, is in a beautiful park-like setting on 143 wooded acres. Our staff and faculty are among the most qualified in the state and our students appreciate the college for its friendly staff and supportive atmosphere.
The purpose of this position is to organize and operate a career and transfer center on a community college campus; to facilitate the transfer agreement process for students continuing on to other colleges; and to plan and conduct job and college fairs and related events.
Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of a culturally diverse student population are encouraged to apply.
100% of full time, 37.5 hours per week, 12 months per year, with anticipated start date of September 25, 2017. Schedule may change to include some evening or weekend hours, as needed. This position is a member of the West Valley-Mission Classified Employees Association (WVMCEA), Office, Technical & Business Services Employee Unit.
Work Location: West Valley College, Saratoga, CA
Salary and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Range:
- $4,670–$5,087 monthly (WVMCEA Salary Schedule, Range 59, Steps A-C).
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse, and/or dependents.
- Employer-paid long term disability for employee.
- Voluntary life insurance.
- 13 paid holidays, plus 1 floating holiday annually; paid non-workdays between Christmas and New Year.
- 10 days vacation leave accrued annually; rate increases step-wise up to maximum 22 days vacation leave accrued annually.
- 12 days sick leave accrued annually.
- Personal necessity leave and personal business leave.
- Educational growth incentive program from $40 to $200 monthly.
- $500 longevity award annually after 10 years of service and $1,000 longevity award annually after 15 years of service.
- CalPERS retirement.
- Position is union affiliated with required dues.
Any combination of experience and education that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
1. Understanding of, and sensitivity to the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
2. Equivalent to an Associate’s degree from an accredited college with major coursework in general education, business, or a related field.
3. Two years of responsible experience in a student services department in a community college.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide technical assistance to students, faculty, and staff regarding general education and major requirements for state universities, private colleges, and other educational institutions.
- Assist students with completion of transfer applications and compiling necessary transcripts and documentation; review college applications and personal statements and provide feedback to students; confer with counselors and university admissions personnel to facilitate the transfer process.
- Provide information regarding career choices and objectives, and labor market trends; make referrals to counselors and community organizations and agencies as appropriate.
- Maintain a library of college catalogs and career information; assist students in conducting research; prepare and maintain databases of employers, colleges, and businesses.
- Research college and career options; advise students regarding choices and appropriate steps.
- Develop and conduct workshops regarding career and employment opportunities, resume writing, interview skills, and transfer agreement process components.
- Coordinate, market, and participate in a variety of special outreach events related to career and transfer information and opportunities.
- Prepare and maintain a variety of statistical databases, records, and reports related to career, recruitment, and transfer activities.
- Hire, train and assign work to student workers.
- Make presentations to large and small groups of students, on campus or through outside programs and organizations.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other district employees, and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Foster an environment that embraces diversity, integrity, trust, and respect.
- Be an integral team player, which involves flexibility, cooperation, and communication.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Information and Application Process Instructions
- For more information on this position and to apply, please visit our website at the following link: wvm.peopleadmin.com
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 741–2174 to arrange for assistance.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within the West Valley-Mission Community College District and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...