Engineering Lab Technician
School of Engineering
The College of New Jersey
The School of Engineering invites applications for an Engineering Lab Technician.
Reporting to the Dean, the Lab Technician performs highly skilled technical work to support the School of Engineering. A major focus of this position is to support programs in the College’s new STEM building, which will house the Biomedical and Mechanical Engineering Departments when it opens in fall 2017. The principal emphasis is on maintaining a safe environment, working with students and professors to support the educational and research mission of the School including classroom, laboratory, and special project support. This position is responsible for supporting the day-to-day operations of the School's laboratories and coordinating with and supporting other technical staff in the School including the laboratory technician in Armstrong Hall, which houses the Civil Engineering, Electrical & Computer Engineering, and Technological Studies Departments.
Support is provided to laboratories for all engineering disciplines with a focus on biomedical and mechanical engineering that contain a variety of general and specialized research and teaching equipment. The Engineering Laboratory Technician is responsible for overseeing procurement, troubleshooting, repair, calibration, and maintenance of electronic, mechanical, chemical, optical devices and systems (e.g. microscopy and spectrophotometry), lasers, and basic prototyping equipment including 3D printing. Oversight is also provided for chemical and biological hygiene, chemical inventory and storage, cryogenic storage and laboratory facilities operating at biosafety levels 1 and 2. The support of laboratories includes supervising student workers who help maintain the laboratories including after-hour operation, and developing and maintaining safety training materials, and overseeing general safety training. The Laboratory Technician is responsible for analyzing, developing, improving, implementing, and maintaining workload and processes that support the School of Engineering laboratories, ensuring that goals and objectives are met.
The Engineering Lab Technician carries a state title Professional Services Specialist 2(A). This position is aligned with the CWA bargaining unit. The salary for this position is Range 24, $59,031.79. Salary for an internal candidate will be determined in accordance with CWA union rules. This position includes a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental and prescription, as well as generous sick and vacation leave.
Founded in 1855, TCNJ is a highly selective institution that has earned national recognition for its commitment to excellence. Emphasizing a residential experience for it's over 6,000 undergraduates, TCNJ is one of Barron's 75 "Most Competitive" American colleges, and U.S. News & World Report's No. 1 public institution of its kind in the northern region of the country. This is an exciting time to join the School of Engineering at TCNJ. The School has experienced vibrant growth in the past decade, and the School is expanding into a new STEM building in the fall of 2017 and our existing facilities will be renovated.
Qualifications for this position include:
- Graduation from an accredited college with a Bachelor's degree in one of the following areas: biomedical, mechanical, chemical, materials, mechatronics, electromechanical, electrical, or electronics. Applicants who do not possess the required education may substitute experience on a year for year basis.
- Two (2) years of experience in relevant engineering or engineering technology.
- Experience with chemical and biological hygiene and safety protocols
- Ability to procure, troubleshoot, repair, calibrate, and maintain electronic, optical and mechanical devices and systems, research instrumentation, sensors/transducers, and personal computers; Computer hardware and software literacy is necessary.
- 1-3 years of professional experience in an institution of higher education or other field that is directly related to the functions of the position.
- Evidence of exceptional interpersonal abilities that enable working collegially as a team member with constituents of all levels (students, staff, faculty, administration), excellent oral and written communication skills, strong computer hardware and software skills including Microsoft Word and Excel, and a demonstrated ability to work independently solving complex problems.
- Must be willing and able to lift 50 pounds, work in a standing position for extended periods of time, operate machinery, and work in a variety of laboratory and office environments.
- Must be willing and able to work outside the normal business hours of the College, including occasional weekends. Occasional travel will be necessary for professional development and support of operations.
Preferred qualifications include:
- 4-7 years of professional experience in an institution of higher education or other field that is directly related to the functions of the position, budget experience, and supervisory ability or experience.
To apply for this position, please use the below link:
Applicants must submit a resume, cover letter and references. References will not be contacted without the candidate's prior knowledge and consent. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until a suitable candidate is selected. Final offer of employment will be contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation.
To enrich education through diversity, The College of New Jersey is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College has a strong commitment to achieving diversity among faculty and staff, and strongly encourages women and members of underrepresented groups to apply.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at The College of New Jersey and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com