Academic Advising Counselor
Otis College of Art and Design
Otis College of Art and Design is currently accepting applications for an Academic Advising Counselor. The Academic Advisor serves College-wide processes and procedures related to academic advising and provides direct advising to students. The Advisor uses a centralized advising system that serves as an information hub for major and other advisors. This position reports directly to the Academic Advising Director.
• Assists with the maintenance of the campus-wide advising system to improve student persistence and degree completion. Provides light technical support to ensure continuity and upkeep of online appointments and calendaring, shared advisor notes, electronic referrals, degree mapping, and early alerts for students identified as having academic difficulties.
• In coordination with the Academic Advising Director, monitors institutional benchmarks and supports all student persistence initiatives and efforts.
• Advises individual students identified as on-track to ensure timely degree completion. Helps off-track students assess problems underlying academic difficulties and refers them to the appropriate department for further support and/or counseling. Meets with students to set goals and develop action plans for academic success.
• Identifies off-track students and executes targeted outreach to provide additional support. Evaluates the efficacy of targeted advising initiatives.
• Meets with student groups on occasion to build rapport and assist students in understanding policies, rules governing exceptions, and required academic documentation.
• Provides information on published curricula, sequencing, academic statuses, registration procedures, and College policies on academic eligibility, and readmission processes. Coordinates with major advisors, faculty, and departmental staff (whenever appropriate,) in partnership with the Registration & Records and the Academic Advising offices.
• Assists with assessment and continuous improvements of advising processes.
• Supports curricular and co-curricular student involvement through referral, event planning, and committee participation.
• Assists in identifying advising needs across academic programs.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Interested candidates must apply via Otis’ website at https://otis.simplehire.com to be considered for the position.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Otis College of Art and Design and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com