Course Materials Buyer
Anne Arundel Community College
With learning as its central mission, Anne Arundel Community College has responded to the needs of a diverse community for more than 50 years by offering high quality, affordable and accessible learning opportunities. Established in 1961, AACC is a fully-accredited, public two-year institution that offers national and regional studies that can lead to a degree or certificate, industry credential, transfer to a four-year institution, or career enhancement, personal enrichment and lifelong learning.
The Course Materials Buyer is responsible for the oversight of the Textbook Department which includes the vetting, allocation, processing and acquisition of all textbooks and course materials through a combination of the Nebraska WinPrism Inventory Control system, Nebraska's WebPRISM system and the College's Datatel system. This position instructs department chairs, faculty and instructional coordinators in all aspects of the online adoption process through the Nebraska Textreq module and the current regulatory environment.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to; managing assigned staff; developing and administering the departmental budgets; ensuring compliance with relevant federal and state laws, rules, regulations, and college policies and procedures; including reviewing, developing, and monitoring procedures, and programs to ensure compliance.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Management, Oversight and Supervision: Oversee the daily operation of the Textbook Department, including the direct supervision of the Assistant Buyer, Course Materials and support staff. Responsible for creating terms, setting deadlines and overseeing all aspects of the textbook adoption process, this includes ensuring faculty stakeholders are kept apprised of and acknowledge state and federal laws pertaining to textbook affordability and their roles and responsibilities as facilitators. Monitor seasonal payroll expenditures to ensure the department is operating within budgeted constraints.
Research and procure course materials according to established procedures and guidelines. Inform faculty stakeholders and department chairs of potential problems impacting order fulfillment, including edition changes, out of stock notifications and pending arrival dates. Consult with publisher representatives to address issues concerning edition changes, pricing, bundled content or availability.
Collaborate with the Assistant Buyer, Course Materials and Systems Support Technician to ensure that book lists, adoption forms, and all required documentation be posted to the bookstore's website within the time line prescribed by SB183 or as governed by the prevailing regulatory environment. Ensure compliance with all Red Flags initiatives as it pertains to the Bookstore.
Establish short-term and long-term goals for the department. This includes developing effective acquisition strategies to ensure the optimal mix of textbook formats (new, used, hybrid, 20 digital, rental and OER) are available for resale in concurrence with current Bookstore textbook affordability initiatives. Formulate strategies to encourage the on-time submission of approved textbook adoptions.
Other duties as assigned by the Bookstore Manager and Director of Auxiliary Services. Assist customers on sales floor or at register as needed. Participate in a program of professional growth and development, including attendance at appropriate trade shows, workshops and conferences.
- High school diploma or GED required
- A minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible experience in a college bookstore is required. This experience must include experience with the Nebraska WinPRISM Inventory Control System and the Nebraska WebPRISM Textbook Requisition system.
- Experience with the Missouri Book Services TA/TA2/ARC Textbook System will be considered.
- Ability to work well under pressure with attention to details and deadlines.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to prepare and deliver presentations.
- Data entry experience and demonstrated knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet programs required.
- Working knowledge and/or familiarity with the colleges Datatel/Colleague student information system.
- Demonstrated knowledge of generally accepted office practices and procedures and records management.
- Demonstrated knowledge of general retail operations policies and procedures
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with a diverse student population, faculty, staff, vendors and the public including a demonstrated commitment to providing excellent customer service and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours, including weekends and evenings.
For more information or to apply, please visit https://aacc.hiretouch.com
Anne Arundel Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Anne Arundel Community College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com