Math Start Cooperating Teacher (Multiple Positions/Campuses)
City University of New York
Math Start Cooperating Teacher (Continuing Education Teacher - Hourly)
The CUNY Office of Academic Affairs and participating CUNY colleges work collaboratively to provide students with an innovative approach to developmental education through the Math Start program, which is under the auspices of the CUNY Start program.
CUNY Start is recognized for its carefully designed curriculum and pedagogy, ongoing professional development and mentor-based training model. CUNY Start is an intensive program for incoming college students who have earned either a high school or high school equivalency diploma but need to increase their academic proficiency in reading, writing, and mathematics prior to enrollment in college credit classes. Math Start, based on the CUNY Start math curriculum and pedagogy, is an intensive 8-week program for CUNY students who want to increase their math proficiency before starting credit-bearing classes. Math Start enrolls students who have been accepted to CUNY but have not passed the math sections of the CUNY Assessment Tests.
Math Start programs are currently located on eight CUNY campuses: Borough of Manhattan Community College, Bronx Community College, College of Staten Island, Hostos Community College, , LaGuardia Community College, Medgar Evers College, New York City College of Technology and Queensborough Community College. Additional information about Math Start can be found at www.cuny.edu/mathstart.
Math Start Cooperating Teacher
The Math Start Cooperating Teacher position is a paid training opportunity to learn to use a successful, student-centered approach and curriculum with CUNY students who have significant remedial math needs. Under the supervision of the Program Director, the Math Start Cooperating Teacher is responsible for learning and/or supporting the work of an experienced Math Instructor in implementing the Math Start Mathematics curriculum. The Cooperating Math Start Teachers will be assigned to one of the nine CUNY campuses with Math Start programs but may be required to work at more than one of the campuses.
Key duties include the following:
- Work under the guidance and leadership of the lead teacher;
- Study lesson plans thoroughly in advance of all classes;
- Observe classes and assist the lead teacher in and outside of the classroom;
- Lead classroom activities of increasing length over the course of the training semester;
- Tutor students outside of class time;
- Attend and participate in regular professional development meetings;
- Assist in student conferences, orientation, testing, and recruitment;
- Attend and participate in team meetings with advisors and teachers;
- Other related duties as assigned.
A candidate hired to teach Math Start classes will first be assigned as a Math Start Cooperating Teacher in the hourly Continuing Education Teacher (CET) title. After successful completion of at least one full semester of service as a Cooperating Teacher, the CET Math Start Cooperating Teacher will be eligible to be considered for a new CET appointment to the Math Start program as a Core or Support Teacher to the extent that vacancies are available.
$36.64 per hour; Part-time approximately 24-27 hours per week, Monday-Friday in full-time programs and Monday-Thursday or Tuesday-Friday in part-time programs; Appointment period: up to approximately six (6) months; a maximum of 530 hours for a full six-month appointment.
Bachelorís degree required; Masterís degree preferred;
Willingness to travel to multiple CUNY Start campuses.
In addition, the preferred candidate will possess the educational and professional qualifications appropriate to the teaching assignment as indicated below:
- Teaching experience in adult education, developmental skills, or relateddiscipline;
- Willingness to implement a set curriculum and pedagogical approach that builds students' conceptual understanding of mathematics beyond their knowledge of procedures;
- Experience working with diverse learners;
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills;
- Proactive and detail-oriented with strong organizational skills;
- Ability to work effectively as an individual contributor and team member;
- Ability to receive and incorporate feedback quickly;
- Computer proficiency using standard academic, administrative and office software programs/applications.
To apply, submit all of the following items to the link below:
- A cover letter and current resume;
- A copy of a mathematics lesson plan that reveals some element of your teaching and learning values;
- A list that ranks the eight Math Start campuses in order of your preferred location, with #1 your most preferred campus to #8 your least preferred campus. Also indicate whether you prefer a day (Monday-Friday) or afternoon/evening program (Monday-Thursday/Tuesday-Friday) and/or your willingness to work in either program.
Campuses are: Borough of Manhattan Community College, Bronx Community College, College of Staten Island, Hostos Community College, LaGuardia Community College, Medgar Evers College, New York City College of Technology and Queensborough Community College.
Note: Kingsborough Community College in Brooklyn is a Math Start training site for Cooperating Math Teachers but does not currently offer a Math Start program. Applicants may be offered the opportunity to train at this campus only.
Please note that we cannot guarantee an applicantís preferred campuses or schedule, but we will try to accommodate an applicantís request whenever possible in alignment with program needs. Schedule options are subject to change.
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.
When inquiring or applying for these positions, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the City University of New York and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com