Applied Physics & Applied Mathematics Department
The Department of Applied Physics & Applied Mathematics at Columbia University invites applications for a Staff Associate to begin August 1, 2017.
The Staff Associate is responsible for all aspects of Materials Science Laboratory. Duties involve, but are not limited to:
- Assist faculty in laboratory experiments or sample preparation conducted by students associated with laboratory courses, which includes:
- Materials Characterization by Electron (scanning and transmission), atomic force and optical microscopy, X-Ray diffraction, Electron Back Scattered Diffraction - Experimental setup, data collection and analysis - Macroscale mechanical property characterization using Instron frames and hardness testers - System automation using LabView and other programming
- Interface with Program Director in strategic planning and preparation of strategic planning documents and usage forecasts, supervising subordinates on individual instruments, assisting Program Director in leading planned efforts for new instrument acquisition including benchmarking and negotiation with vendors for discount contract terms, assisting Program Director in developing relationships for obtaining externally funded instruments.
- Train Student and Facility Users on laboratory equipment (polishers, XRD, Instron, mounting press, diamond saw, microindenter), prepare user training documents, monitor usage and maintain user records, assist in teaching classes, modules and short courses that address the needs of facility users.
- Monitor the performance of equipment, performing routine maintenance, performing repairs and/or coordinating service calls from instrument manufacturers, assisting Program Director in the development and upgrade of instruments
- Provide technical assistance and advice to users specimen preparation, operation of the instruments and interpretation of data, provide advice and assistance and/or assign an appropriate subordinate or user to meet requests of non-users, operate appropriate instruments, obtain and interpret data in accordance with specific requests from users, provide tours and demonstrations of the Laboratory in assistance to faculty, departmental programs.
- Handle chemicals, implement and maintain safety policy in the laboratory.
- Travel to training sessions and to vendors or materials conferences/trade shows to qualify and/or evaluate new instruments.
- Performs related duties and responsibilities as assigned/requested
- Masters in Materials Science and Engineering required
- Progressive experience in a lab setting
- Experience with Labview programming, Image processing (ImageJ, Photoshop)
- Operate on a flexible schedule that may include evening, night hours and weekend hours
Information and Application Process Instructions
Applicants should apply on-line at the following URL: academicjobs.columbia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=64685
Applicants can consult http://www.apam.columbia.edu for more information about the department
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Columbia University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...