California State University, Fresno seeks a visionary and collaborative leader as Dean of the College of Social Sciences. The Dean is responsible for the quality and effectiveness of the academic programs and curricular innovation, as well as fundraising, sound financial management, decisions related to faculty and staff recruitment and retention, and resource and facility allocations. By articulating a clear, dynamic, and creative vision, the Dean will chart the future direction of the College.
THE COLLEGE OF SOCIAL SCIENCES
The College of Social Sciences is dedicated to academic excellence, integrity, intellectual freedom, and civic and cultural engagement with the San Joaquin Valley and beyond. The College includes the departments and programs of Africana Studies, Anthropology, Chicano and Latin American Studies, Criminology, Geography and City & Regional Planning, History, Political Science/Public Administration, Sociology, and Women's Studies. The College offers three master's-level degrees and hosts specialized programs, including an Honors Program, Study Abroad, Humanics, Los Danzantes, Mock Trial, Project Rebound, a variety of certificate programs, research institutes, and thriving student organizations.
FAST FACTS ABOUT THE COLLEGE
Annual budget: $8,886,838 (2016-2017)
Tenure/Tenuretrack faculty: 77
Temporary faculty: 92
The College of Social Sciences has an annual development goal that is established in partnership with the Dean, Director of Development and leadership in the Advancement division. The Dean will have an integral role in development work to support the college. Funding priorities include scholarships, faculty support, research, student experiences, community engagement, etc.Fresno State is currently in the planning stages of the next comprehensive campaign.
The salary is competitive and is negotiable depending on the strength of qualifications. This is a CSU Management Personnel Plan (MPP) position with an attractive benefits package which includes but is not limited to: a vacation accrual rate of 16 hours per month; 12+ paid holidays; excellent choice of medical, dental and vision insurance, long term disability coverage, life insurance; and retirement benefits.
Anticipated hiring monthly salary range is $12,916- $14,166, depending on qualifications and experience.
The College of Social Sciences seeks a candidate of exceptional leadership and vision to advance its academic and research mission. The Dean is the chief academic and administrative officer for the College. As a member of the Academic Affairs Leadership Team he/she reports to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. The Dean facilitates a collegial environment for teaching, scholarship, creative activity, research (both theoretical and applied), and service to the University, community, and one of the most diverse student populations in the country. The Dean is responsible for the quality and integrity of academic programs¿ managing human and fiscal resources; overseeing physical facilities of the College¿ and supporting student success as well as the professional development of faculty and staff.
The Dean is the spokesperson for the College on campus, in the community, and beyond. As such, the Dean is an advocate for the faculty, staff, and students of the College, who also works collaboratively with other Deans and upper administration in supporting the best interests of the University. The Dean works cooperatively with University Advancement in the continuing efforts to foster and maintain relationships with alumni and donors. The Dean is expected to engage in collaborative efforts with faculty, committees, Department Chairs and Program Coordinators, the Academic Affairs Leadership Team, University leadership, the Student Leadership Council, and community partners to advance the Academic Plan and the University's Strategic Plan.
The Dean is responsible for the overall vision, the academic and administrative operations of the College, and clearly articulating the value and importance of the social sciences within a comprehensive university. Specific responsibilities include:
- Supporting the mission and goals of the College, the University, and the CSU System;
- Promoting a culture of collaboration, transparency, consultation, and consensus building;
- Supporting the mission and goals of the individual departments and programs within the College;
- Engaging in external fundraising through relationship development with existing and potential donors, in coordination with the College Development Director and University Advancement;
- Managing the College's budget and fiscal planning in consultation with the Department Chairs, Program Coordinators, and College committees;
- Overseeing the recruitment, retention, and evaluation of faculty and staff;
- Advancing research, scholarly and creative activity initiatives for faculty and students;
- Promoting a culture that fosters student success, retention, and timely graduation;
- Facilitating interdisciplinary and cross-department collegiality and collaboration;
- Supporting faculty external grants and contracts;
- Managing day-to-day operations of the College with attention to department and program staffing needs;
- Supporting the technological infrastructure, equipment, and facilities needed for effective program development and delivery;
- Overseeing College Study Abroad programs;
- Collaborating with student leaders and organizations;
- Coordinating with other units on campus;
- Developing and implementing a Strategic Plan for the College in collaboration with faculty, staff, and students;
- Respecting the diversity of our faculty, staff, and students and their work-life balance and care responsibilities; and
- Advocating for and promoting the College both on and off campus.
- An earned Ph.D. from an accredited institution in a field appropriate to one of the Departments/Programs in the College of Social Sciences;
- Rank of Full Professor;
- A distinguished record of teaching and scholarship/creative activity;
- A record of community-engaged service and civic involvement;
- A minimum of 3 years' experience of effective academic administrative leadership at the level of Department Chair or above, which has included management of fiscal and personnel resources¿
- Experience with developing an inclusive environment for a diverse campus and/or community;
- Demonstrated commitment to student success;
- Evidence of the ability to work effectively with people at all levels of the university¿
- Demonstrated success in fund development and donor stewardship with private donors or community partners¿
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal; and
- Proven record of ethical leadership and commitment to the ideal of shared governance.
- Experience and success leading multidisciplinary units¿
- Demonstrated experience with academic program evaluation, review, and strategic planning¿
- Commitment to the role of General Education in student development;
- Experience with programs for student recruitment, advisement, retention, and timely graduation¿
- Demonstrated commitment to the needs of diverse student populations¿
- Experience developing or working with an advisory board¿
- Experience with capital campaigns, major gifts, endowments, and planned giving;
- Experience or familiarity with the collective bargaining process; and
- Understanding of the characteristics of California's Central Valley.
Information and Application Process Instructions
Applications received by August 15, 2017 will be reviewed for minimum qualifications and given full consideration by the hiring manager and/or search committee. Qualified applicants received after that date will be forwarded upon request to the hiring manager and/or search committee.
Individuals interested in being considered for this position should submit an on-line application and attach the following supporting documents: 1) curriculum vitae, 2) letter of interest which includes a statement about leadership philosphy and approaches to fundraising as well as a narrative detailing how the candidate fulfills each of the required and preferred items listed under Qualifications, and 3) names, email addresses and telephone numbers of three references who can provide current assessments of the candidate's qualifications for the position.
Pursuant to Executive Order 883, reasonable accommodation is to be provided upon request from an employee or applicant with disabilities, unless doing so would impose an undue hardship on the campus. What constitutes a reasonable accommodation is to be determined by the campus on a case-by-case basis after it has received the individual's request for accommodation and engaged in an interactive process. Employees or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation should contact Human Resources directly at (559) 278-2032.
How To Apply:
To apply for this or any open position at Fresno State visit our online employment site at: http://jobs.csufresno.edu/
Pursuant to the requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, any offer of employment is contingent upon verification of individual's eligibility to be employed in the United States.
California State University, Fresno, in conjunction with the CSU policy, requires that the successful candidate complete a full background check (including a criminal records check) prior to assuming this position. Failure to satisfactorily complete or pass the background check may impact the job offer or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for posted positions identified as sensitive.
California State University, Fresno annual security report includes statistics for the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus, in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Fresno State, and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to or accessible from the campus. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security, alcohol/drug use, crime prevention, reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters. You can obtain a copy of this report by contacting the Campus Police Department or by accessing the following web site: http://www.fresnostate.edu/adminserv/police/clery/index.html
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. You can obtain a copy of this Executive order by accessing the following web site: http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1083.html
This position may be a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position may be required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
Other Applicant Information:
Applicants will receive confirmation of receipt of their application materials via automatic email reply. In addition, qualified applicants will receive email notification at the conclusion of the recruitment process.
This is a full-time management position covered by the California State University Management Personnel Plan. Under this plan, employees are subject to management reviews and serve at the pleasure of the University President of that campus.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Order 883 prohibits discrimination and Executive Order 927 prohibits harassment, on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity, per HR 2004-12), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Retaliation against individuals for complaining about these proscribed conduct, opposing such conduct, or participating in an investigation or proceeding involving such conduct is prohibited by both executive orders.
Further, California State University, Fresno's statement of commitment to equal employment opportunity principles is also found in the various collective bargaining agreements.
California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University's mission is to offer high-quality educational opportunities to qualified students at the bachelor's and master's levels, and in certain applied disciplines, at the doctoral level. The current student enrollment is approximately 24,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and world. California State University, Fresno promotes student learning and community engagement through faculty scholarship and service learning opportunities in collaboration with community organizations, educational institutions, industry, business and government. The University was one of the first U.S. Colleges and Universities to be selected by The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching for its Community Engagement Classification.
Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 600,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley on the western edge of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range. The campus is within driving distance of San Francisco, Los Angeles, Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, the Monterey Peninsula, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at California State University Fresno and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Chair of the Search Committee
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Chair of the Search Committee
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...